Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Why I Rise- Part 1


Today is the first installation of "Why I Rise" that One Billion Rising SLC will be bringing to you. 


Everyone has a story.
Everyone has some reason that they care and are even the slightest bit impassioned for the cause.
You are important.
Your story deserves to be heard.




Here is our first story, brought to you by
 "A Lotta Living":
Please submit your own story (and a screen name if you would like to remain anonymous) to OBRSLC@gmail.com


My personal reasons for participating with One Billion Rising

I was a teen mom. When my parents found out I was pregnant at 16 it was determined that I WOULD be getting married and plans were quickly made. This was a guy who had never placed me first in any situation and treated me as if I was less than nothing. I did what was expected and we were married.

The abuse was only verbal and controlling at first. I was constantly told how ugly and terrible I was until I started to believe him. I was not allowed to go anywhere without him checking on me and accusing me of doing other things. There was constant yelling and accusations. In spite of efforts to prevent another pregnancy I was pregnant only 10 months later, I truly believe he sabotaged me and made sure I would get pregnant, what better way to control me?

The abuse became physical. He was careful to never leave obvious marks. He would hold me down, pick me up over his head, anything to let me know he was stronger than me and could do what he wanted.
I have always been a strong woman but for some reason I put up with this treatment for 2 years. When the abuse began to spread to my children, something inside me snapped and I knew there was no way that I could allow it to continue. I got out of the situation and made sure my children were not raised around this type of behavior.

I stand up and dance to bring attention to the problem, to teach women that they do have a choice and to show their abusers that we will not allow this to happen any longer. I do it for my daughters, granddaughters, nieces and friends. I do it for all women around the world who are not yet able to do it for themselves.

-A Lotta Living (Utah)

Please leave a comment with some love and support for our first guest blogger below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We reserve the right to remove any comments which we view as not consistent with our mission of providing a safe space.