Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Why I Rise - Part 31

Melodia Gutierrez

I rise for the social and political inequality that riddles our communities.  I rise for those that experience oppression, psychological abuse and violence.  I rise to support mutual acceptance.  I rise to end personal and corporate greed. I rise to change these numbers:  women making 77% of their male counterpart's income, 11 million undocumented citizens, 146.4 million Americans below the poverty line, 1 billion humans in poverty (which is set to double in a decade) across the globe, 100,649 children suffering from abuse, 1 in 3 women that will experience rape or beatings, 43% of Utah's Latinos will not graduate High School, 48% of Utah's African Americans will not graduate high school.  I rise to eliminate racism.  I rise to advocate for education.  

I rise to fight, through love, to end the injustices around us and to empower and be empowered by community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We reserve the right to remove any comments which we view as not consistent with our mission of providing a safe space.