Monday, January 14, 2013

Why I Rise - Part 21

I am rising because when one billion women rise and dance, healing around and within the world begins.  This healing is long overdue.  This dance comes at the right time.  I am rising because when a member of my community says that something is hurting them and needs a collective voice to be heard to stop it, I can only live with integrity by saying, “I’ll be there”.  Two years ago I made a commitment to a mentor named bell hooks to decolonize my mind from white supremacy, patriarchy and capitalist thinking.  The only way I know how is to be accountable to oppressed communities and not stand idly by as a witness.  Slow violence that is emotionally abusive and fast violence that is aggressive are both equally destructive.  Our community will be stronger by rising and dancing together and a whole and healing world will rise with us.

I am a 35 year old, climber, skier and retired high school science teacher.  I have re-emerged as a carpenter, bus driver and community organizer.  My heart and soul are rooted in the inter-mountain west bio-region but like most people living in the United States my relatives are immigrants. I grew up in Denver, Colorado with parents from New York and Wisconsin. Their relatives immigrated to the U.S. from Holland, Ireland and France. I work to address climate change from a social justice perspective and I listen to youth wisdom sometimes before listening to adults.  Organizing with various climate justice campaigns I am excited about inter-generational mentoring and learning that seems to develop strong relationships in the Salt Lake community.  I believe that power is not a thing, it is a relationship.  

ryan pleune

No comments:

Post a Comment

We reserve the right to remove any comments which we view as not consistent with our mission of providing a safe space.